Vets in Surrey Explain Why You Should Never Give Your Dog Chocolate


It can be difficult to resist those pleading eyes as your dog begs for a snack, but chocolate is one tempting treat you should never give your dog. Chocolate is potentially lethal for dogs and it is wise never to let them acquire a taste for it.

Why Is Chocolate Toxic for Dogs?

Chocolate is one of the most common causes of poisoning in dogs. It contains a substance, similar to caffeine, called theobromine. The higher the concentration of cocoa solids in the chocolate, the higher the levels of theobromine.

White chocolate contains the lowest levels while baking chocolate and cocoa powder contain the highest. Theobromine is also poisonous for humans if they eat large amounts of it, but dogs are much more susceptible, and eating just a small amount of dark chocolate can cause them to become ill or even to die.
http://nelsonvets.co.uk/vets-in-surrey-explain-why-you-should-never-give-your-dog-chocolate/

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s